8th Grade Science Syllabus Teacher:
Ms. Araceli Blanco
Conference period: 3rd pd. 10:05-11:00 8th grade
Science Objectives/ Middle School Science STAAR test Scientific
1. Review of lab safety procedures and application of science tools/instruments.
2. Metric measurement (temperature, mass, volume and length).
3. Collecting data information and presentation in graphs.
1. Chemical and physical changes of substances.
2. Atomic structure of matter, including trends in the periodic table and the Law of Conservation of Mass. Recognizing how chemical formulas are written.
3. Interactions that occur between matter and energy including potential vs. kinetic energy, photosynthesis, and Newton’s laws of motion. Calculating for speed, work, velocity and force.
4. Relationships between organisms and the environment including the role of producers, consumers and decomposers in the ecosystem.
5. Interdependence among living systems including symbiotic relationships (mutualism, parasitism and commensalisms).
6. Relate plate tectonics to formation of crustal features, like mountain building and rift valleys.
7. Interactions among solar, weather and ocean systems. Interpreting weather maps.
8. Effects of human activities on soil, water and air quality.
9. Characteristics of the universe including the Big bang theory, types of stars and galaxies. Components of the solar system including causes for Earth’s season